Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The big pictures...

Photobucket

This is my "say skinny jeans," cheese face.

Me and Jon played a impromptu weirdo open mic show at AJ's cafe in Ferndale on Monday evening as Songs from the moon. When we walked off stage we had played for about a half hour to a crowd of 4-6 people. Maybe 2 people were listening to us [Thanks Julie!]. We decided to dress in white shirts and black ties to be smooth open mic criminals. So the above photo was taken after our set. And the below photo was also taken that evening, but also includes my partner in cafe house crime, Jon B.

Photobucket

All in all, it was fun but a little disappointing that the cafe was so empty. I'm not sure if it's the weather, or maybe just the state of the economy, but I remember in years past open mic nights usually would bring in at least 10 people who weren't performing. Especially on a Monday when not a lot else is going on. Drifters walking by, stopping in to see the folk on stage pouring their heart out for an audience of strangers.

Oh well.

In Matilda news:

The new album is going along alright.
I've taken a little break from actually recording to re-write a few things, and "perfect the beat" if you will, before I put music to tape. I'm basically practicing the songs I have finished. Messing around with melody, writing little piano trills or the like in my head. Finding good harmonies.

I have Thursday off, and I plan on knocking out some drum tracks during the day. I was thinking I'd record multiple songs at the same time, instead of the usual "work on this one song over and over until it's done" mentality. So Thursday I'll do drums and scratch tracks for a couple of new songs and that way I have a base, or a foundation for the songs so when the inspiration hits me for a specific song, I can work on that.

Also:

In the spirit of the last minute open mic, I think I'm going to do a few Matilda open mic nights in the near future. If/when this happens, I'll post it here.

Good evening to ya'll.

Good night.

1 comment: