Friday, June 8, 2012

"Party Like a Block Star" and other musings

Good morning Earthlings.
More specifically Michiganders...
And even more specifically, Ferndaliens and the Cosmic Cadets of the surrounding areas.

First order of business:
Block Party.

The Annual Woodland Park Improvement Association Block Party has asked Matilda to play with Jon from the Moon for all of upper Ferndale.
From the Facebook event description: "This Annual event will take place on Thursday June 14, 2012 at 5PM. Please come and enjoy food, fun, sunshine, and live music from "Revoir" & "Matilda and Jon From The Moon and Friends".

We're really excited about this show. We'll be playing both Jon's solo stuff, as well as Matilda stuff, and we asked our dear friend [who just happens to be an excellent drummer] Danny K. to help round out the sound of this neat show.
So we're going to be a bass/drums/guitar 3 piece, and as you may have read up in the event description we're calling ourselves "Matilda and Jon from the Moon and Friends," or something else just as long and confusing and unbrandable.

Come on out if you're feeling frisky, and feeling up to seeing us all play a weird show in a strange venue in a group of mostly 50-somethings out to chat with their neighbors.


Next on deck in new business:
Songs/Albums/Etc.

Split CD is almost done.
Most of the remixing is done, and the new recording is nearly complete. I hope to release it in tandem with whatever Jon is doing for his portion of the album. Like, I was thinking, if he releases a single, I'll release a single, and if he streams the whole album, I'll do the same.

So what? I'm a poser.


Also: brand, brand new Matilda stuff is coming along well.
I'm writing new, new songs, and recording new-ish songs that have been bouncing around in my head for the past 2 years. At first we were thinking about  just an EP, but now I'm thinking it'll be more like a regular 14-15 song Matilda record... Or maybe two short records... It all depends on how the songs come out, how they play together.
Maybe a 10 song record, with a few singles?

I don't know.

The material is piling up, and as soon as the split is finished up, I'll start figuring out what I'm making, and how I'm going to make it.


So, get excited for that.


Last order of business:
Inspiration.


I heard a wonderful quote yesterday from the late, great Ray Bradbury that really inspired me to keep creating.
It was something like:
"Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down."

And I had never really thought about it until I heard that quote, but I'm most excited about what I'm doing when I do it that way.

I love having a vague idea for a song, or painting, or short-story and just jumping right into it and let the creative side just create it without thought. Just start it first, and finish it as best and as quick as you can, because to be creative is one thing, but to be prolific is quite another.



With that I'll leave you for the morning.
There is much work to be done on my first day off in what seems like a life time.
I'm off to make things, to create, and not look back.




No comments:

Post a Comment